Your diabetes deserves a MedsCheck
Medication management is a major factor in ensuring that you have control of your diabetes management. If eligible for a Diabetes Medscheck, your Friendlies pharmacist can help you improve medication use through education, self-management and medication adherence strategies with the goal of improving health outcomes. The Diabetes Medscheck takes about 45 minutes and may be claimable through Medicare.
Why is it important?
With the right lifestyle, effective mediation management and regular blood glucose monitoring, you can minimise the risks of blindness, kidney and nerve damage, heart failure and other conditions associated with type 2 diabetes.
What happens at the appointment?
The Diabetes MedsCheck is held in a private consultation room with a Friendlies Pharmacist. Your pharmacist will review and record the medications you’re currently taking and will then offer advice on how and when to take your medication for the maximum effectiveness.
Your pharmacist will also talk to you about blood glucose monitoring and offer tips on how to make the most of it. You will be provided a list of practical medication and diabetes management tips to take home.
Is it for me?
If you answer yes to one or more of these questions, there’s a good chance you will benefit from a Diabetes MedsCheck:
- Do you have type 2 diabetes?
- Do you ever forget to take your medications?
- Do you understand how your medication works?
- Do you think you are experiencing side effects?
- Would you like to learn how to use glucose monitoring more effectively?
Do I qualify for a free diabetes MedsCheck?
The Friendlies Diabetes Medscheck is free for Medicare Card holders who:
- Have recently been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes or would like more support to manage it
- Have found it difficult to access or have never seen a diabetes educator
- Are living at home, ie not in a care facility and
- Have not had a Medicare funded medication check in the last 12 months